Saturday, August 7, 2010

All The Medical Mumbo-Jumbo & Details

Where to begin? I guess a little history. When I was 11 I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), which is the condition of having a low platelet count. Then in late 1999 after just losing my mother I had a Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) in my right leg that that turned into a Pulmonary Embolism (PE) in my lung which at the time was assumed happened because of my birth control pill. Now fast-forward to 2006, wedding plans are in place, Sean and I are about to get married and a couple months before the wedding I’m in for my annual with my super-awesome-OB who we shall call Dr. L. who is always proactive said that he wanted to have Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) run blood work before we start trying to have a baby because of my medical history which of course I was bummed because there went my chance at a honeymoon baby (which shows just how naive I was 4 years ago to think it would be that easy to have a baby!). Sean was of course fine with this because he wanted to wait a year before we started trying to have a baby yet we did compromise on 6 months (though it ended up being 4 months). Well before we started trying that July 2006 I had the blood work done and it came back that I have Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS), which is a is a disorder of coagulation that causes blood clots (thrombosis) in both arteries and veins as well as pregnancy-related complications such as miscarriage, stillbirth, preterm delivery, or severe preeclampsia. But I was in bliss, I just got married and knew we were going to start having babies, I had no cares about ITP, PE’s or APS, I was going to have babies…and lots of them!!!

Now that you had to read through all of that I will give you the quick version of our pregnancy journey: We have had 2 early miscarriages, 2 ectopic pregnancies in which the first one I lost my left fallopian tube during emergency surgery and of course our hardest loss of all, our little boy Patrick at 17 weeks gestational for a total of 5 losses. So now here we are with our 4 years later with our 6th pregnancy. Our little girl who we are praying will get to come home with us.

currently listening to Janet Jackson's Control

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates